The Austin Strategic Mobility Plan (ASMP) was adopted by City Council on April 11. The goal outlined in the ASMP is to decrease the number of solo commuters from 74% to 50% over the next 20 years. This can be accomplished by moving people to other transportation options such as public transit, telecommuting and other solo-driving alternatives.
Some strategies for implementing alternatives include:
- Improving the public transit system
- Encouraging ride-sharing
- Tweaking street design
- Improving the trail system
- Enhancing the city’s bike lanes
- Adding hundreds of miles of sidewalks
- Increasing pedestrian safety
- Promoting self-driving cars
See the full Austin Strategic Mobility Plan for more details on the new transportation polices, improvements, and implementation.